Geelong Regional Coordinator/Group Facilitator/Counsellor
Regional Coordinator/Group Facilitator/Counsellor – advertisement
Road Trauma Support Services Victoria (RTSSV) is a not-for-profit organisation contributing to the safety and wellbeing of road and transportation users. We provide counselling and support to people affected by road trauma and address the attitudes and behaviours of road users through education.
In working to deliver our purpose, we provide free, professional face-to-face and telephone counselling services across Victoria to people who have been affected directly or indirectly by a transport incident including; bereaved family members, witnesses, drivers, first-on-scene, emergency service personnel and friends.
Through active engagement of people who have personal experience in the effects of crashes on theirs and others lives, we can offer several support options including peer support activity groups.
In addition, we deliver a range of education programs addressing the behaviours and attitudes of drivers in order to reduce the incidence of crashes, injuries and fatalities and the associated trauma and grief.
About the role
We are currently seeking a person who is looking for a diverse role within an organisation that strives to make a difference.
Based in the Barwon Region, the role will be split across both areas of the organisation: education and counselling.
- As an RTSSV counsellor, you will be providing key support and counselling services to anyone impacted by a transportation incident. You will provide information, emotional support, short- and long-term counselling and referral to people connected or involved with, injured by, or witness to any transport related incident. In addition, you may be required to liaise with stakeholders in the region. The counselling component of the role is a permanent part time position of .1 FTE (7.6 hours) and reports to the Manager of Counselling and Support Services.
- The Regional Coordinator reports to the Manager of Education and supports RTSSV’s programs and activities across the Geelong/Barwon region.
- The Regional Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the education programs in their region, including providing support and supervision for the group facilitators and volunteers.
- A significant part of this role is liaison with key stakeholders, and this will require an understanding of the justice system, road safety and health services sectors.
- The position is casual and aims to be flexible so it can be worked around current employment, however, there needs to be some availability during business hours to be able to network with key people and attend meetings with road safe and court user groups.
- The Regional Coordinator will work with their local teams to develop strategies to network across the region, implement programs and work with referrers to give updates as to outcomes.
- As the position also has a group facilitation role within the education programs, it requires experience working in groups with mandated participants.
- As these programs are brief interventions, group facilitators need to be able to create a safe space quickly to allow participants to openly share their offending behaviour and to work on ways to prevent reoffending.
RTSSV’s largest education program is The Road Trauma Awareness program which aims to bring about attitude and behavioural change and reduce recidivism. They are based on restorative justice principles and employ a cognitive behavioural approach using both volunteer speakers with personal experiences of trauma as well as presenters from the emergency services. The program aims are to:
- Confront and evaluate participant belief systems in relation to traffic offending
- Bring about a shift from blame to choice
- Assist participants in identifying and managing precursors to offending
- Provide peer discussion and problem solving
- Provide reality-based learning using volunteer/emergency service presentations.
We offer a range of educational programs in the regions, please refer to this link https://www.rtssv.org.au/education
- We are looking for someone who is creative, flexible and able to network and build relationships with key stakeholders.
- A passionate worker who can work with alongside group of like-minded coordinators across the State
- Ability to work independently as well as foster a supportive and cohesion team.
- Have a solid understanding of supporting paid and unpaid staff across the region and the importance of this role that requires an understanding of the emotional support needed in this environment.
- Strong group facilitation skills, and people management will be required, along with at least 5 years’ experience in counselling, with a focus on grief, bereavement and trauma.
- Experience working within the justice system would be advantageous
Applicants must address the key accountabilities, meet the capabilities framework, have a recent CV and have sent their application to Manager of Education, Chris Harrison by Friday 31 May 2019 to [email protected]
If you have further questions, please call Chris on 03 8877 6909
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 4 June & Thursday 6 June 2019. Training will be Friday 14 June 2019
Job position description
Name: Christine Harrison